Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Links #4 - More blogs

I started this blog partly because I didn't think anyone else was trying to kick a TV habit, or would even take the idea seriously. (Once in awhile I'd search Google for phrases like "TV addiction," but all I turned up were jokes about it and people who were reveling in it.) But along with chronicling my own recovery, I was hoping to somehow find others going through the same thing. Well, doing this blog seems to have sharpened my searching skills.

The good news is that I'm not alone after all. In addition to eDave's Break Free of TV, which I wrote about here, I've found blogs by three other people trying to kick TV. They all follow the writer's reasons for wanting to stop watching, their triumphs, their problems and struggles, and their insights.

The bad news is that none of the three blogs listed below has been updated in some time -- their last entries were (in the order listed below) five months, one month, and two and a half weeks ago -- so it's possible that all three have been abandoned. Even if they have, they're still very much worth reading.

Escape Your Television - Diary of an Addict, by Alan

As of 1 February -- which, alas, is his last entry to date -- Alan was up to almost two months without TV. Alan has had many visitors since he started blogging last December, and the wealth of comments they've left are as valuable as Alan's posts.

Apparently Alan has abandoned this blog. In a post on another blog, he speaks about it in the past tense: "I tried [stopping TV-watching] myself at the end of last year and kept a blog of my experience for a few months. Alas, I never quite made it to that TV-free nirvana but I'm down to about one or two hours per week from twenty-plus hours a week before the experiment and I feel a lot happier for it."

My Year Without Television, by Our Money Staff

This author (it's just one person, despite the name that sounds like a committee) started blogging on 19 May, and his last entry to date was on 3 June. His last two entries make it sound as if he's given up his attempt.

TV Withdrawal - A Real Time Case Study {2005}, by Jake

Jake started his TV withdrawal on 29 April, and takes us up to Day 49. His last entry to date, on 18 June, promises "More posts to follow shortly" ... I guess we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home