Friday, July 01, 2005

Links #2

OK, I went way overboard with comments in my first links post. I'll keep my comments much shorter from now on. If I'm gonna write an essay, I'll do it in a separate post. :o)


Break Free of TV, a blog by eDave

Dave started his latest attempt to cut down on TV on 9 June, just over three weeks ago. He's working hard on it and has good insights to share. He's quite open about everything he's going through. Dave's done a lot of web surfing, and he gives good links in his posts. Gotta love his URL too: mindsewage.blogspot.com. One of Dave's mini-rants especially grabbed me:
Michele [Dave's wife] started going off about the teen kidnapping case in Aruba and telling me all the latest.... Don't get me wrong, I think it is tragic that this beautiful teen girl was kidnapped and possibly murdered.... But tell me something... What good will it do me to sit and watch the events unfold on the nightly news??? Does it change my life in any way? Does it bring the person back? Does it make the family's pain go away? NO! It does absolutely no good, and probably does a ton of harm, to sit and watch mindlessly as the media pounds hour after hour of negativity into my brain.
Right on!


a snippet from rzyna's Random Thoughts

No need to read the original, really, as there's just this one paragraph:
though, if I can whine about one more thing, my aunt has a TV addiction. Not that she watches, but that it simply has to be on. She comes home, turns it on. She won't watch, she won't pay attention, but it simply has to be on. (We'll ignore my computer addiction for the moment...). So she did the same in the hotel. I, on the other hand, only turn on the TV if I intend to watch it. If I'm not watching it, having it on just plain irritates me. So I had some issues over that. We'd come into the room, she'd turn it on. When she'd go to shower, I'd turn it off to have some peace and quiet. I'd go shower, she'd turn it back on. It was amusing.

Confession, by Kindra, from her blog elephants on parade

Honest and funny. The sneaking TV as a kid, the craving, the numbness you come to crave, the deals with yourself to watch "just a little more." Been there, sister. Been there, done that, bought the eight Special Collectors' Edition TV Guides each with different cover photos. Kindra's got a way with a metaphor; her "Angus heifer on Main Street" killed me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home